Saturday 1 March 2014

Following Your Dreams: How To!


I thought a good first post for an aspiring writer’s blog would be to look back to what I see as the beginning of the journey.

This is the most important lesson I’ve learnt about achieving my dreams.

Creativity has always been an integral part of me. I’d love to be able to say that being creative was my life; writing and drawing all day long sounds brilliant. Yet, I’d never taken it seriously, because everyone knows that all artists are starving and all writers are broke and that’s no way to earn a living or be respectable!*

(*Factually untrue, of course. You’ve all heard of the big guns JK Rowling and JRR Tolkien, but there are plenty of others making a name for themselves in the creative world – JF Penn, Rachel Aaron to name a couple of my inspirations.)

I found myself at the end of secondary school with lots of Necessary Qualifications desired by Society and not a clue what to do with them to become a functioning adult.

I’ve ended up in various roles/careers/positions since, but the most valuable thing I have learnt in my zigzagging endeavours was this:

You can be whatever you want to be – it just takes time.

I’m not living my dream. Yes, it’s a long way off. However, if I work every day, doing whatever I can to make being a writer a reality, that’s as good as it gets. I am fulfilling my potential. If standing at work to pay the bills means I have the tools to write with in my free time, then that’s enabling my dreams! If I can enjoy life in the meantime too, then even better!

If you don’t try, you will never achieve your dreams. If you try... well, you just might!

I hope that this will help you too. So don’t feel disheartened if you think to yourself, “I’m not achieving my goals NOW,” because no one ever achieved their dreams overnight. It requires lots of time and effort.

Take small steps to meet your goals, keep your eyes on the prize and enjoy the ride as much as possible; it’s working for me, and I hope it works for you too.

Putting down the pen for now,
Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment