Monday 7 April 2014

Why reading a book you dislike can be useful for your writing


I've read in many a place that to be a good writer you also have to be an avid reader.

Luckily, I'm a complete bookworm (if I could have been Hermione Granger I would have!). Only time restricts how much I can read these days.

Lately, I've picked up two new fiction works, one by an author I've previously read (and enjoyed), one by an unfamiliar author. Both have put me way outside my comfort zone. I won't disclose which authors or books I'm reading (it's unfair and irrelevant), only use them to illustrate the point I'm making.

In any case, I realised that not enjoying reading a book is as good for my own writing as enjoying a book.

The first book was written in first person/present tense. Given that most books I read are written in third person/past tense, this was incredibly distracting. Nevertheless, it's a historical fiction set in a time I'm particularly interested in, so I persevered.

This became less of a distraction when compared with what I felt was a lack of compelling story telling and instead, simply a recount of slightly embellished historical detail. Now I'm faced with the choice of not finishing the story - frustrating to any reader - or forcing myself through the second half in the hope it improves.

The second book is gripping - I can't put it down - but also darker. It goes beyond the typical realm of fantasy battles that I usually encounter and continues into grim and gruesome murders to an unnerving depth. The plot in this one is thankfully very more-ish, but I do sometimes shiver as I read the darkness within.

So why are these experiences valuable?

By reading lots - and enjoying and disliking what you read - you can learn to recognise and understand what/how you enjoy writing and use this knowledge to make your own writing more efficient and better.

For example, I now won't use first person, present tense any time soon; to me it feels unnatural and distracts from the story. If, as a reader I feel that way, I'm sure others would too.

Additionally, I'll carefully consider what detail I add to my characters/settings - too little makes for an uncompelling read. Characters and settings must feel believable, 3-dimensional and real.

I also know my own tolerance for gory details; a.k.a. what I can handle writing and reading before I get nightmares! I think that's important to understand. 

Knowing my preferences will save me the time of re-writing to change tense and person, rewriting to axe or add detail retrospectively and also the worry of how much "gore" to add in my work - I'll push my boundaries but stop short of Game of Throne's Red Wedding for now, for example.

I hope that's a useful thought to share; it's certainly offered me a new perspective and way of linking reading and writing.

Ciao for now!

Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment