Sunday 15 February 2015

The Brooding Crown first draft is complete!

Sign up to the mailing list to hear about upcoming releases!

Hi folks! Yes, at last, the second book of Caledan has taken form in its entirety! Only a first draft for now, so the process is very far from over, but the biggest step of all - getting it down in complete form - is done and dusted as of Friday 13th February 2015.

For the first time, I recorded detailed data about when, where and for how long I wrote, plus word counts. It was a very valuable exercise that allowed me to understand my writing habits lots better!

I planned this book in a heck of a lot of detail - you can see the stats above! 24 hours over 16 days. I was astounded to have written 30k of planning - yikes! It's set me in good stead, though. I would have forgotten all those good ideas, had they not been written down!

For book 2, my hourly word count was decidedly average: a solid 1,000 words an hour or thereabouts. This frustrated me, as on book 1 and in some places on book 2, I peaked at 2,000-3,000 words per hour. But mostly, I worked in the range of 1,000-1,500 words an hour. Hmm! I expected to be much faster with the meticulous and detailed planning I did.

What surprised me most, however, was the overall time it took to write. It felt like a long process, but it only took 50 days (though spread out since last August 2014, and mostly written from January onwards 2015). That doesn't seem so long.

Condense all those hours sat at the keyboard... and it only took 81 hours. That's it! Really not very long! Not even 3 and a half days to write a full length novel. A huge part of me wishes I could do that in one sitting!

So what's next? Well, nothing Caledan related, strictly speaking! The manuscript needs to rest - aka I need to get my head firmly out of Caledan, so that when I come to editing, I approach it with a fresh mind to fix the many inevitable icky bits.

I'm also on the hunt for a new editor once I've self-edited to help me really polish it. That should happen at the end of May-early June. I'm aiming to publish late July-August this year. :-)

Also got other projects to work on too! I am starting on my accounting/finance for authors series shortly, so you'll be hearing lots more about that. This month I also have two short stories to draft for an adult fantasy/dark fantasy/urban fantasy/sci-fi collection this month. One is done, one is still to do!

...And of course there's my dissertation for university and an assignment set too. But hush about those - the less said the better. I am avoiding university work at all possible costs currently!

Anyway, hope you're well!

If you fancy keeping up to date with book 2/my fiction works, sign up to the newsletter today!

That's all for now - don't forget to let me know how your writing is doing, or what you're reading now!

~Meg

No comments:

Post a Comment